Monday, July 25, 2011

Quality Kitchen Time

Sharing the kitchen with my daughter has been a long-time dream.  She's actually been interested for quite some time, but ever since that hot soup incident when she was 18 months old, I've been very, very careful about allowing her to venture into cooking.  But she's old enough now that I don't have to be a complete paranoid, over-protective micro-manager when we're in the kitchen together.


Of course, being food-obsessed, I am just in heaven that she's enjoying the culinary world.  For the last several days, she's been growing more and more agitated over the ripening bananas..."Mommy, this is just wrong!," she would say to me as she shook an ever-darkening banana at me.  Despite my assurances that they were gradually becoming perfect for banana bread, she was increasingly bothered by them.  So, I put her out of her misery yesterday as she and I made banana nut muffins together.  As that yellow fruit emerged from the midnight black peel, she became a believer!  She measured and mixed like a little pro and we turned out two dozen delicious muffins.  She was quite pleased.


Being bachelorettes this evening, I think we'll embark on the ol' classic spaghetti and meatballs.  (Yes, my sweet child actually pronounces it pasketti.)  If you haven't done this with your kids yet, making meatballs is an all-time favorite.  They are able to get their hands in there, mix it up and have fun shaping them.  And, viola!  They end up eating a good portion because they are so excited about their creation.  Part of our patio garden this year is a huge pot of Italian parsley, so we'll be using that, bread crumbs, egg, ground angus, onion, garlic...the usual suspects.  I've learned that I really prefer them baked and then added to the sauce, so that's the plan.


These are our fixin's



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...