Saturday, March 17, 2012

SouPhoria

I'm taking a quick break after a day of coupon organizing, list making, grocery shopping, prepping meat for the freezer and cooking.  In fact, I'm basking in the glow of a culinary success.  You know, that euphoria you experience when you just cooked a dish that is so good, it just makes you happy.  Giddy really.  In this case, it's a soup, so in my classically witty style, I've invented the word 'souphoria' for your reading pleasure.

A few days ago, I got an insane deal on cauliflower at Aldi.  

The vegetable that gets the least attention :-(
The rockin'est store on the planet!
I love it roasted, with cheese sauce, my friend MaryAnn's curried cauliflower casserole...but thus far, I haven't had much luck with the littlest diner.  I stared at the two heads of cauliflower as they stared back.  What to do?  What to do?  Perhaps if I could transform it then you-know-who wouldn't even have to hear the word "c'flower."  So, I decided to combine two faves:  roast it then turn it into soup.  

In a word...hotdamndiggity.  

Here's what I did:


2 heads cauliflower cut into florets
4 Tbs olive oil
4 tsp garlic powder
3 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp nutmeg (fresh if you have it)
1 Tbs butter
1 Tbs olive oil
2 med. onions, chopped
6 Tbs flour
2 1/2 cup chicken broth
1 cup water
2 cups milk
2 Tbs dry sherry

Place cauliflower in a roasting pan and drizzle with oil, sprinkle with seasoning and toss to coat.  Roast at 450 for 30-40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.  Keep an eye on it, you want it nice and roasty, but not burnt.



When done, set cauliflower aside.  Melt butter and olive oil in a stockpot or large saucepan.  Cook onions until soft and lightly browned.  Sprinkle the flour over the onions and keep stirring & cooking for a few minutes.  Slowly add the milk, broth & water.  Bring it up to a gentle boil to thicken it, stirring pretty often.  Add 2/3 of the cauliflower and the sherry.  Warm it through then blend with an immersion blender or in a regular blender.  Add in the rest of the cauliflower and heat through.  

Fill up a big bowl, get a big spoon and well, you can take it from here...

Side note:  the little one ended up with the grandparents this afternoon and wasn't hungry for anything upon returning home.  Will have to "guinea pig" her some other time.  But, the ball-n-chain and I loved our dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...