Friday, June 22, 2012

Spice Junction

I love Indian food.  As I've told you before though, I have very few friends who appreciate it as much as I do.  Today, I had the office to myself.  No one around at all.  Got tons of work done and when lunchtime rolled around, I remembered that Spice Junction was near my office.  I've been dying to go because every review that I've read has been off the hook.  So, me, myself and I headed on over.

Like most Indian restaurants in our area, they serve a buffet with a wide variety.  I don't mind this because even though I've been eating Indian food for years and years, I know that I've only scratched the surface of all the wonderful dishes that exist.  Just as I'd read on Urbanspoon, the owner was behind the line and offered to help me or answer any questions.  She then went out onto the floor and talked to some of her customers.  That's the way a restaurant owner insures a loyal following.  That, and having kick ass food.

Spice Junction delivers!  Today, I sampled channa masala, butter chicken, vegetable and chicken samosas, veggie fritters, spinach and corn curry, sweet lime pickle and a cauliflower dish (I can't remember the name.) Butter chicken is one of my all-time favorites and I really liked Spice Junction's version.  The chicken was wonderfully tender and the sauce was spicy, but not so much that it would hurt people.  Neil and I like it spicier, but that's something that can be adjusted.  The spinach and corn curry was interesting too.  I've never run across that dish before.  I loved the veggie fritters and of the two samosas, I preferred the chicken one.  The chickpea dish (channa) was packed with flavor and with chickpeas! The best part of it all?  After I sat down, a nice man brought a basket of naan to me, fresh and hot out of the oven.  And, this was beautifully bubbled and tasty naan...just perfect!

The restaurant is tucked into the corner of that shopping center at the corner of Dreher Rd. and Hwy. 1 in West Columbia (the one with the BiLo).  I recently heard somewhere that some of the most surprising restaurants tend to be in these unassuming strip malls.  Maybe Guy Fieri said it on "Triple D." It's certainly true of this place.  I left there happy with my meal and that indescribable warmness and satiety that you get inside when you eat Indian food.  Maybe it's the spices?  I don't know.  It doesn't matter really.  I just love it.  

**Sorry I didn't take any photos today.  I was so ready to dive in that it just slipped my mind!  You'll have to see it for yourself!**
Spice Junction on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...