Monday, August 13, 2012

The Pizza Joint

Many of you know that I am a Realtor(r).
Today, I had the home inspector, heating & air inspector and the termite inspector all lined up to check out a super cool house I just sold in Forest Hills.  As I got the house open for them, I realized that I was so hungry I felt woozy.  Guess those bing cherries from this morning were rapidly waning.  So, I got them started and then fled the scene in search of some quick sustenance.  Just about 2 blocks down Forest Drive was The Pizza Joint.

I've been here before but I don't go often.  Not for any particular reason, but I'm just not over there all that much.  The waitress presented me with a menu and a lunch specials menu.  I love a restaurant that actually has specials...you know, like a good deal, not just something that's not normally on the menu.  I perused the list and decided on a simple, yet tried & true selection...a slice and a salad for a mere $5.25.  That's a helluva price!

Forgot to mention it came with a garlic knot
I ordered my slice with pepperoni and black olives (I paid the extra $.60 for the 2nd ingredient).  The salad usually comes dressed with roma tomatoes, onion, bell peppers, mozzarella and mushrooms.  I requested no mushroom or onion.  I know this is going to sound stupid, but it's become a big deal to me.  So often when I ask for them to hold an ingredient, I end up being disappointed to find it's there anyway.  But, my salad arrived just as ordered.  And, it was a really nice, big salad too.  A balanced mixture of romaine and iceberg.  You know, I'm sick of iceberg getting kicked around so much.  There is most definitely a time and place for iceberg.  Some salads need the volume boost that it provides, the crunch that no other lettuce possesses and let's face it, an iceberg wedge wouldn't be a wedge at all without the 'berg.

The slice was about the size of my head.  I think this is a funny pizza place phenomenon...the slice.  Seems like it would be a slice from a regular large pizza, but it never is.  It's essentially a medium pizza made into a triangle shape.  

Mama Mia! That's a big ol' slice
If you are in a pizza place that offers slices, think about it carefully.  You may end up with more pizza for a lower price than if you ordered a whole one to split with friends.  The pizza was good, but I would have to be honest and say it's not my favorite.  The sauce has a subtle sweetness to it; subtle yes, but still sweet nonetheless.  And, I can't believe I'm about to say this but here goes.  I think my slice was actually TOO CHEESY.  <<audible gasp>>  Is that even possible?  How can pizza have too much cheese, that ooey gooey mozz that we all love?  But, it's true friends.  It was just too cheesy.  There's simply no other way to say it. 

The Pizza Joint makes good pizza though.  Please don't misunderstand me.  The sweetness of the sauce just isn't my most favorite, but from reading others' reviews, some people find that very appealing.  As I've written before, pizza is like art.  When that dough hits the pan, it's a blank canvas for the culinary artist in us all!  This place has a cool, casual atmosphere and I was interested to note that their Happy Hour begins at 2:00.  Hmmmm     ;-0


The Pizza Joint on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. The only thing that was ever any good in that building was the Sub Station II. Wish that would come back.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...