Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Chimichurri: world's simplest sauce

I've often found myself most satisfied and fulfilled when I make something that is so simple yet so sensational. It's almost poetic when fresh, basic ingredients combine and create a remarkable result.  Today I refer to chimichurri.

Chimichurri is most often characterized as an Argentine condiment.  Argentinians love asado, or barbeque.  Grilled steak is quite common, cut into long strips and cooked on the asado.  And what do Argentinian steakhouses serve instead of Worchestershire, A1 or Heinz 57?  Something much more interesting, quite frankly.  Chimichurri.

Although it sounds exotic and therefore surely complicated, it's not.  I made it today in about 10 minutes. My now 8 year old gourmand passed through the kitchen as I was chopping the herbs and exclaimed "Oh my gosh, that smells so good!"  Always a good sign when you're preparing to spring something new on a kid diner. This sauce is magnificent but it couldn't be simpler to make.  So, pay attention, I'm going to tell you how it's done:

1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup loosely packed parsley leaves, chopped
1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, chopped
2 Tbs red wine vinegar
1/2-3/4 cup olive oil (whatever looks right to you)
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper

Use the back of a spoon to mash up the salt & garlic to make a paste.  Then mix all ingredients together.  That's it.  You can use immediately or cover and refrigerate for later.  

Our dinner tonight was warm, leftover thin sliced beef tenderloin, roasted potatoes and the Mullaney Salad. As we sat down at the table, the Wunderkind looked at the sauce, stirred it with the spoon and said "Oooh, this is what I was smelling earlier!" 
Without a moment of hesitation, she spooned some on her plate to try on the side (at my suggestion).  Turns out she loved it and proceeded to ladle more over her steak. All you moms who cook for kids will surely recognize this as WINNING.
And, come to find out, chimichurri is also really tasty on roasted potatoes!


1 comment:

  1. Oh I definitely know that winning feeling when i can add more food choices to our menu when my munchkin approves of food. so yay for the win! sounds yummy

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...