Saturday, June 4, 2011

Staring Down my Nemesis

It's hard to admit that I have an egg problem.  I love a good omelet; in fact, it's my usual order when we go out for breakfast, but at home is another story.  Over the years, I've had mixed success with making them myself.  My biggest issue:  the flip.  In my case it's usually more of a flop than a flip.  Neil (God love him) has even tried to coach me on flipping and even went the extra mile and bought me this 8"wide spatula to assist me.  Come to find out that thing is really for flipping fish.  I've tried more egg, less egg, adding milk, adding water, saying a prayer, having a seance, burning incense and crossing my fingers...all to no avail.

But.that's.all.changed.

As  you will probably remember, I am a cookbook junkie.  That goes for cooking magazines too.  Recently, I was thumbing through an issue of "Everyday with Rachael Ray." There was another article about omelets.  Of course, this caught my eye since the omelet was clearly invented to drive me completely mad.  I read it.  It sounded just too simple to be real.  I resolved to try it, yet again.

So, this morning, I found the magazine and told Neil "I'm following this recipe to the letter." And that's what I did.  Guess what?  It worked!  It was fluffy, it didn't have a hint of brown on it, it flipped and stayed flipped, nothing ripped.  It was an omelet and I made it.
Smoked gouda and fresh baby spinach leaves

So, here's the technique that I've never figured out all these years.  Use 3 eggs; mix with 2 Tbs water, pinch of salt, pinch of pepper and beat with a fork.  NOT a whisk, a fork.  Then heat a Tbs of butter over medium-high heat. Add the eggs and STIR CONSTANTLY with a rubber spatula until about 2/3 set, about 1 minute.  Then, reduce the heat to low and spread the mixture out with the spatula. Cook until the bottom is set, sprinkle with cheese of your choice and any other fillings.  When set, flip in half.  That's it.  It works.  Who knew?  

Apparently everyone but me, that's who.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...