Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Great Ravioli Switcheroo

I have never made fresh pasta.  Not because I don't want to but because I don't have a pasta machine nor do I have the counter space to roll it out by hand.  One day I suppose.  So, we are forced to eat dried pasta and other store-bought pasta.  I like the "fresh" refrigerated pastas from time to time but I think they're overpriced.  But one thing I really like having in my freezer is ravioli.  They go on sale often and coupons are pretty easy to come by as well.



Why do I like this stuff so much?  It's quick and easy to cook and it's ridiculously versatile.  Obviously, you can serve it with red pasta sauce.  I like them coated in bread crumbs and toasted.  Another way that we really like to prepare them is simply with toasted walnuts and a drizzle of olive oil.  And, of course, we cannot forget about pesto!   

The wunderkind usually does well with these too.  Until the other day.  When I mentioned having ravioli, she announced that she doesn't like the kind that I cook.  She prefers ravioli from a can.  Picture me looking over each of my shoulders to see who on Earth she's talking to?  As I embark on my (very) logical explanation of why this is so much better than canned, Neil waved his hand very slowly at me and gave me that mystical "I've got this" look.  I stopped talking and just walked away shaking my head.

Here's what the genius did.  He opened a can of something, put it in a tupperware and removed the label.  Then he cooked some of the frozen ravioli, tossed it in sauce and put it in the can.  Next, he found the Vivver and showed her that he had indeed discovered a can of ravioli in our cabinets.  She was delighted and daddy headed back to the kitchen to warm it up in a pot.  Peace.  Everybody wins.  


Why the hell didn't I think of that?

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...