Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Village Gourmet: Salads and much more

I'm not sure how long the Village Gourmet has been open.  It's been awhile though.  For the last 12 years, my office has been within walking distance.  Needless to say, I've had most things on the menu and have watched the place evolve from a gourmet sandwich shop to today's daily menu of specials that range from a calamari salad to Kobe burgers to house-smoked pulled pork.
Howard Stephens has transformed his cafe and his own style into an eclectic melange of quality offerings.  You can subscribe to his newsletter and be notified by email daily as to the specials.  He caters as well.  But, dining in is always a pleasant experience because the place is still small, friendly and smells great when you open the door!

My mom and I walked over today for salads.  I ordered the chef salad (minus cucumber and egg) with blue cheese dressing.  I can't put my finger on how this dressing is made.  It's thick, but not stark white in color.  It is very rich and seems to have a garlic undertone to it.  I'm just not sure what is going on with it, but I love it.  It's the most unusual version of blue cheese that I've ever had.  The salad is a mix of lettuces, cheeses, ham and turkey.  It also features tomatoes, cucumber and hard-boiled egg until someone like me gets a hold of it.

Mine


Howard was offering a Greek-esque salad today topped with fried calamari.  Seeing that, Mom realized feta was in the house.  She ordered the chef salad too, but asked for feta instead of the usual.  I think she may have confused them a little because her salad seemed to have gotten the short end of the stick on the ham and turkey. But, overall, was a good salad.  The Greek dressing that accompanied it was just right with the salty, tangy feta.  Feta is (one of) the cheese of the gods.

Hers


Some of my other favorites at Village Gourmet are:  club sandwich (bring a friend to share with), grilled smoked turkey and smoked gouda sandwich, chicken salad, and the roast beef and cheddar sandwich.  The desserts are also nice:  brownies the size of your palm and my personal faves, the lemon bars & almond bars.  I've also had the pleasure of attending lunches catered by Village Gourmet and have been equally pleased.  

When you're on the "Dutch Square" side of town, are in the mood for a good, quality sandwich or salad and want to support a locally owned business rather than the plethora of chain food, pop into the Village Gourmet.   You can follow them on Facebook by clicking here.

Village Gourmet on Urbanspoon

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...