Thursday, March 8, 2012

Potatoes Day 2: Loaded Potato Soup

I decided to make Potatoes Anna last night to accompany our corned beef.  I consulted an Internet recipe for some guidance then did my own thing with it. Thank goodness I DID NOT prepare as much potato as the recipe called for or I would've had potato slices coming out of my ears.  I peeled 3 good sized baking potatoes but only sliced two.  Good thing.  As I started layering the slices in my pan, it was obvious that potato #3 was not needed.  I even had some slices left over so I put them all in a ziploc filled with lemon juice-spiked water to keep them from browning and into the fridge.

Today, I have one little person and one big person sick with strep throat AGAIN.  As I drove to the pharmacy for a Hefty bagful of antibiotics, I pondered that leftover potato.  Two sick people in the house?  Soup.  Of course!  And, I've been dying to try the 'grow your own green onion' trick I found on Pinterest, so my thoughts turned to Loaded Potato Soup.  You know, the one that graces every chain restaurant's menu.  But, I was going to do it from scratch, so it would be infinitely better.  So, I gathered up all the medication at the pharmacy and grabbed a bunch of green onions from the produce department and headed home.

In keeping with my usual M.O., I consulted a recipe then made my adaptations.  The end result?  Fantastic loaded potato soup that was WAY better than any I've had in a restaurant.  Turns out I was the only one who felt like eating any of it, so, oh well...more for me!  
Homemade potato soup garnished with cheddar, bacon bits and green onions!

 Have I piqued your interest?  Ok, I'll tell you how to make it.  Be prepared...it's ridiculously fast and easy and I promise you, it was delicious.

Homemade Loaded Potato Soup
  • 2 slices bacon, cut with shears into cubes
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1/2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 Tbsp & 1 1/2 tsp flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp dried basil
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1 large baking potato, peeled & cubed
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 tsp Tabasco sauce
Cook bacon in a large saucepan until crisp.  Drain on paper towels.  Save about 1 Tbsp bacon grease and saute the onion and garlic until soft.  

Add flour, salt, pepper & basil.  Stir until combined and cook a little bit (to cook out the raw flour taste), stirring constantly.  Gradually add the broth & bring to a boil, stirring about 2 minutes.  

Add potato, milk & Tabasco.  Let boil about 2 minutes, then lower heat to low, cover and cook until potatoes are tender.  (about 6-10 minutes)  **I decided to use my immersion blender to blend up some of the soup to make it silky and not so chunky. You do it however you wish.** 


Garnish with bacon bits, sliced green onions, cheddar or whatever speaks to you.  Come to think of it, a dollop of sour cream might be nice as well.  


I had two bowls.  I hope you like it as much as I did.  I thought the consistency was perfect, the flavor was outstanding and I was pretty darn pleased that I didn't let that extra potato sit around in my fridge and go bad.  I'd put my soup up against a restaurant version any day too.  I'll be making this again for sure.  It didn't take much time, but the result was so good, I would have invested any amount of time necessary!  Bon Appetit!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...