Monday, April 2, 2012

I'd walk the plank for a good flank

Have you noticed how difficult it is to find a flank steak in your grocery store these days?  I don't think I've seen them in my store for over a year.  Once upon a time, the flank steak got a really bad rap.  It was considered an "inferior" cut of meat, tough, cheap.  I pity the fool who believes that.  Flank steak is one of my favorites.  You can grill it, broil it, make sandwiches out of it, make steak tacos, a simple steak dinner...the list goes on and on.  So, somewhere along the line, other people discovered this and flank steak was pretty plentiful, but as usual, as it's reputation improved, its prices rose.  However, now it's virtually impossible to find it.  Virtually.

On the way back from Asheville yesterday, we stopped at Costco.  (Don't even think about getting me started about how I'd sell my soul to the devil for a Costco and my blood-boiling outrage that the capital city of this state is deprived of one!!!!) There, in the meat department was a beautiful flank steak.  Wait, check that...this package was housing TWO of these beauties.  And, since it's Costco, the price was awesome.  My mom and I selected one and split the spoils.

Tonight I made one of my most favorite flank steak recipes...yes, this is one I've made more than once.  It's from one of my old Weight Watchers cookbooks.  
These cookbooks are the bomb-diggity!
It's simply fantastic and if you can get your hands on a flank steak, I recommend you try this one.  My child raved and gave me the coveted "Ten thumbs up" as she calls it.

Sesame Soy Marinated Flank Steak
  • 1 1-1/2 lb flank steak
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 2 Tbs sugar
  • 2 Tbs sherry
  • 1 Tbs sesame oil
  • 1 Tbs water
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
Trim the fat from the steak.  Combine the next 8 ingredients in a large ziploc bag.  Add steak, seal the bag and marinate about 8 hours, turning occasionally.

Prepare your grill.  Remove steak from the bag and save the marinade.  Grill steak about 7 minutes per side, using reserved marinade to baste.  Let steak rest at least 5 minutes before slicing it ACROSS the grain into thin slices.  Trust me...if you don't cut it this way, you just wasted your time.
Hot off the grill and resting
Our meal tonight:  grilled flank steak, broiled zucchini & sauteed corn
  Oh yeah...for those of you here in my town.  If you find flank steak in your grocery, please let me know where.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...