Thursday, May 17, 2012

Asian slaw that hits the spot!

I didn't have much time for dinner prep tonight.  Had chicken marinating in teriyaki; always a good thing. Already had some leftover green beans in the fridge, only in need of a little heat-up.  But what else?  I am one of those who believes any proper square meal needs a main dish and two sides.  I guess technically that's a triangle or maybe a circular meal.  Anyway, that's just how I am.  Once in a blue moon, I've served a dish with just one side.  No one died. No one walked away emotionally scarred.  But, I must admit I didn't feel right about it.

So, you see my dilemma right?  I have teriyaki chicken, I have green beans, BUT WHAT ELSE????
So, I gaze into the fridge of inspiration and there it was right in front of me.  Half a cabbage that needed to be used.  As I mentioned, I didn't have much time.  What could I do with a cabbage that would be pretty quick and painless?  Then, it hit me.  An Asian-style slaw to accompany my teriyaki.

In an effort to create something that the wunderkind would like, I decided to go in the direction of Thai flavors...the kid loves peanut butter, after all.  As is always the case these days with my sweet little gourmand, some days she is adventurous and digs it all, some days not.  This was a not day.  But, her loss...this slaw was the shizzizzle.  Shut my mouth and call me Loretta.  Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle.  Yep, it was that kinda good.

Ok, I'm not sure ANY slaw actually photographs well.  You're going to have to trust me.


Interested?  I'm happy to share.  Be warned though; I almost ate the whole friggin' bowl all by myself.

"Asian" slaw
  • 8 cups of "angel hair" sliced cabbage (use those knife skills here, you'll be glad)
  • 2 carrots, julienned
  • chopped green onions (do what looks right and suits your taste)

  • 6 Tbs rice vinegar
  • 6 Tbs vegetable oil
  • 5 Tbs peanut butter
  • 3 Tbs soy sauce (the most wonderful sauce on Earth!)
  • 3 Tbs brown sugar
  • 2 Tbs ginger, minced
  • 1 1/2 Tbs garlic, minced
Sorry this is so blurry
Mix all the cabbage (feel free to use any variety(s) that you choose) with the green onion and carrot.  

Whisk the sauce ingredients together.  Toss with the cabbage just before you serve.  I topped mine off with a hefty dose of roasted sesame seeds.  (You can find them already roasted in the sushi dept. of your grocery store.  Way cheaper than in the spice aisle, and they're already roasted...saves you a step!)




I have determined that this sauce would also be great tossed with noodles and served cold as a salad, perhaps a good picnic dish.  Try it and see what you think!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...