Friday, November 26, 2021

Enough Thanksgiving Leftovers!

 I love Thanksgiving as much as the next girl. I know people always talk about, look forward to and consume Thanksgiving leftovers. I'm not much of a leftover lover, but I did my duty and had them for supper last night, again for lunch today but I couldn't go for #3. So, I made CALAMARI.


Have I ever made calamari?  Hell no!  Have you? I was shocked when I discovered squid in the nearby Food Lion. I had to buy it. They stayed in the freezer for awhile because I was duly intimidated. But you know what? They are so simple to cook, I could teach a chimp to do it.  If only I had a chimp, which I don't.


Draining excess water from packaging

Sliced into rings

Taking a soak in milk for about 30 minutes

You thaw them under refrigeration. When I opened them up, I drained them before I sliced into rings. Then, I soaked them in milk for about 30 minutes. I've read some recipes that state you can soak up to 4 hours, if you want/need to.

I made my dredge with flour, 3 tsp paprika, 1 tsp kosher salt, a little cayenne and fresh ground black pepper. Once I drained the calamari from the milk, I just tossed them around in my seasoned flour. I don't own a deep fryer, so I just mixed some vegetable oil and Crisco and fried the squid in a saucepan on my stovetop. Since they are so small and delicate, you only have to cook them 30-40 seconds, or until they look right to you. 





I am feeling so accomplished! I guess that's not saying much since I just told you how ridiculously easy this is. Nonetheless, I had calamari in my own home, prepared by me.  Oh yeah, I made a simple lemon aioli as well. 

Enjoy your Thanksgiving leftovers. Some suggestions from my past: turkey enchiladas, turkey taco soup, and turkey paninis. Have fun!














No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...