Sunday, June 24, 2012

Rock 'n Roll-y Guacamole

Neil and I love avocados.  We like them simply sprinkled with salt, tucked into a salad, on a burger, on a sandwich, on a taco and we really love guacamole.  I don't know if you've noticed, but in recent months, avocados have been ridiculously expensive.  So much so that we haven't bought any in ages.  Then this week rolled around:  Aldi has avocados for $.69 apiece.  Yahoo, hallelujah, zoiks, shazaam!

They needed to ripen up a bit, so we waited patiently for a few days.  This morning, we realized today is the day.  We split one for breakfast with just a salt shaker and a spoon.  As I have been patiently waiting, I planned the meal.  Tonight we're having chicken fajitas with homemade guacamole.  I have to tell you guys.  This is the best guacamole I have ever made.  It was epic.  In fact, I was so pleased with the end result I decided to share with you exactly how I made it.  

First, I made pico de gallo.  This makes enough to put into the guac and more to have with chips, on a taco salad, whatever.  I used these little skinny peppers that we've had stashed away in our freezer.  I don't know what kind they are.  A friend of Neil's grew them last year.  Neil (atomic taste bud man) didn't think they were very hot, so he popped them in the freezer for a rainy day.  What was I thinking listening to Jolly King Jalapeno?  These little suckers were damn hot!  And perfect for my pico.  Experiment with peppers that you prefer or you can always bank on a jalapeno.

Pico de Gallo (makes 2 cups)
  • 2 cups diced, fresh tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup diced onion (white or Vidalia if you like it a little more tame)
  • 2 Tbs chopped cilantro
  • 1 1/2 Tbs minced jalapeno (remove seeds, unless you like the heat)
  • 2 tsp fresh lime juice
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Mix all this yumminess together & refrigerate to allow the flavors to marry.

Chop into small dice
Add these to the party
Homemade Pico de Gallo



Guacamole
  • 3 medium Hass avocados
  • 1 Tbs fresh lime juice
  • 1/2 cup pico de gallo
  • 1 1/2 tsp chopped garlic
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 3/4 tsp salt
Pit the avocados.  Score the pulp with a knife (makes little cubes) then scoop out with a spoon.  Place in a mixing bowl.  Add lime juice and stir to evenly coat the avocados.

Fruit of the gods
The guac that made Neil glad he married me
 Stir in the pico, garlic, olive oil, and salt.  Gently mix and mash the avocado pieces.  You want to create some creaminess, but leave chunks of avocado.  Don't overmash. 


Before dinner, we couldn't help but try it out with some chips. Neil looked at me with the most sincerest expression of love on his face.  I think it almost made him cry.  (Just kidding. That's my ego going wild!) The guacamole was fantastic in our chicken fajitas with the yummy caramelized onions and bell peppers. I gotta reiterate: this is by far the best guac I've ever made and will be my new go-to for guacamole.  If you think making the pico is too much trouble, let me assure you it's not.  It took me about 10 minutes to put it all together.  Well worth it to have fresh, spicy pico to flavor the guacamole.  Don't skip that step; you'll thank yourself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...