Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Escarole. One Largely Unknown Leafy Green

Please forgive my tardiness.  A couple weeks ago I posted about my discovery of flat-iron steaks and mentioned that I served it with baked potatoes and Sicilian style escarole.  I promised to post the recipe for the escarole and just realized I have not made good on that promise.  

The tricky part is this:  since I'm so tardy in letting you all know how I made this dish, I find myself sitting here with my laptop wondering, "hmmmm, where did I find that recipe?"  I consulted my cookbook, Leafy Greens, sure that that is where I'd find it.  Big fat NOPE.  To quote Astro, "rut ro!" In total disbelief, I actually thumbed through the book just to be sure it wasn't really in there. Then, it dawned on me.  One of my new favorite websites (and their cookbooks rock too) is AllRecipes. Lo and behold, that's where the recipe resides.  So, without further ado, here it is.

There's no photo posted, so here is how mine actually looked:

I never had escarole as a kid!

 Much to my chagrin, I didn't have Kalamatas in the pantry, so I just used plain ol' black olives.  The dish was delicious, but I know that using the imported olives next time will definitely make a nice difference.  If you are like me and didn't grow up with escarole on the family table, look for it in your market.  It's becoming more prevalent in our groceries.  I think most people look at it and think it's some other form of lettuce, but it's so much more.  If this recipe doesn't do it for you, just saute it with olive oil and a little garlic.  It's a nice, tasty change of pace and it's really good for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...