Sunday, October 7, 2012

Unbelievable!

Are you familiar with AllRecipes.com? I have loved this website for quite some time.  If you don't know, here's what they are all about.  Recipes are submitted by REAL people, then other REAL people rate/review them.  The cool thing is that I've never made a recipe from this site that hasn't worked and worked well.  The coolest thing though is that you can plug in how many servings you want and the site will adjust all of the quantities for you.  Awesome.

I have a client who is preparing to move as soon as we get a buyer for her house.  One day, I stopped by and saw stacks of books in her dining room.  Curious, I inquired.  They were all cookbooks that she was going to donate.  I guess she saw my expression change, prompting her to say something like, "Should I donate them to you?"  Touchdown, goal, SCORE!  Even though I knew I don't even have enough bookcase space, and that Neil and my entire family would give me hell about adding more cookbooks to my bursting-at-the-seams collection, I happily loaded them all into the backseat.  

One of them has become my new favorite:  all recipes dinner tonight.  Basically, it's a "greatest hits" of the website.  The editors compiled a "Hall of Fame" of 20 recipes who all received 150+ ratings and reviews.  So far, I've made 5 of these 20 and haven't been disappointed at all.  The latest one is a recipe that I've read, re-read, re-read, contemplated, re-read.  I finally decided to jump off the cliff and try it and man, am I glad I took the leap.  So glad, that I wanted to share with you all.  Now, be prepared...when you see this title, you're going to be intrigued yet a bit quizzical.  Maybe even a bit cynical.  You might experience disbelief.  But, trust me.  Take the leap like I did and you will make yourself and your family/friends very happy.

Photo from www.AllRecipes.com


Addictive Sweet Potato Burritos
  • 1 Tbs vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 6 cups canned kidney beans, drained
  • 2 cups water
  • 3 Tbs chili powder
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 4 tsp prepared mustard
  • pinch of cayenne pepper
  • 3 Tbs soy sauce
  • 12 (10") flour tortillas, warmed
  • 4 cups cooked & mashed sweet potatoes
  • 8 oz shredded cheddar
Preheat oven to 350.

Heat oil in a medium skillet and saute onion & garlic until soft.  Stir in the beans and mash.  Gradually stir in the water and heat until warm.  Remove from heat and stir in chili powder, cumin, mustard, cayenne and soy sauce. Spread sweet potatoes evenly over the bean layer and top with cheese.  Roll up burrito style and place in a single layer on a lightly greased baking sheet.

Bake for about 12 minutes. Serve with sour cream, salsa, green onion, whatever on the side, if you wish.  

To me, this was like the best bean burrito ever, but with that little touch of "je ne sais quoi." Amazingly, the sweet potato married so well with the spiced bean mixture.  I NEVER would have come up with this on my own.  It works and it works so well!  I also was just plain feeling good watching the Vivver eat this meal packed to the gills with protein and beta-carotene!  Please trust me and put your hesitation aside and make this recipe.  And, I'd really love to hear your feedback about it.  Sorry I didn't take any pictures.  We were all starving and dug right in.  Photography be damned!  But, the good people at AllRecipes made this great video:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...