Sunday, December 16, 2012

Christmas Cracker Jacks

I am not a sweet freak.  Don't get me wrong...I appreciate a good cake, pie, candy or other confection when I taste it, but I don't seek it out.  I'm more of a savory, cheesy, hearty kinda girl.  That being said, there is definitely a time and place for sweets.  Christmas is one of those times.

Come to think of it, about the only times of the year when sweets really enter my consciousness are Halloween and Christmas.  Halloween because everyone needs one chocolate chapter in his/her yearAnd at Christmas, there's just something traditional, comforting, and welcoming about sugary little goodies.  We give them as gifts.  We enjoy receiving them as gifts.  We appreciate the fact that someone took some time (in many cases, a LOT of time) to create these little delights just to show us that they care about us.  However, my biggest dilemma is this:  I hate with a capital 'H' even attempting/wasting my time with rolled-out Christmas sugar cookies.  If you really wanna know why, ask my friend Eugenie about our Christmas-cookie-from-Hell experience back in the mid-90's.  I just can't even speak about it.  I also have a problem with pie crust.  It is my nemesis.  It kicks my a$% every time and just laughs in my face.  And, I learned last year that gingerbread men really aren't that sweet.  In fact, they are incredibly difficult little sons-o-gingerbreadmen.

So, this year, I wanted to make something sweet, easy and that could be made in large batches.  After much contemplation, I decided on caramel corn.  It's perfect!  I can bag it in pretty little bags for the teachers, I can give batches to friends, the mailman, my Publix bakery man, you get the idea.  And, I confess, I love popcorn of all descriptions, even sweet, buttery, caramel corn!


 I used this recipe that I found on www.AllRecipes.com.  I followed it as written except I added peanuts to mine. It couldn't have been easier and it's super economical too!  You can make just a few batches and have plenty to share with everyone you know.  Maybe I should go on www.OrientalTrading.com to get little prizes to put inside...then it really would be just like the Cracker Jacks we all loved as kids!

Merry Christmas my friends!

1 comment:

  1. That looks awesome! I've tried to make it in the past and it just never worked--I don't remember baking it afterwards, though. I'll have to try this one--the kids love it, too! I found a recipe for cherry cordials I want to give a shot. Every year, the kids insist on making gingerbread. Every year, I ask, "are you sure you want to do this?!?" just like my mom did. I've finally got the process worked out, but I don't enjoy it...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...