Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Easy, yet yummy after Christmas breakfast treat

Having a child makes Christmas a much more fun, magical and exciting time of year.  Our daughter is 6, which made this year particularly special because she's now old enough to really know what she wants.  She's blossoming every instant into a more and more amazing little lady every day.  This year was just a blast with her.  She had a list of what toys/wishes were important to her, she sat through the Christmas Eve candlelight service like a big girl, she reveled in the meal of corn chowder with shrimp, crab casserole and pan-roasted lobster, and she exclaimed more than once (ok, more than a dozen) times, "This is the best Christmas ever!"

Today is the day after.  Much to our amazement, she slept in.  Like really in.  Like almost 10:00.  I was awake around 8:30, but forced myself to go back to sleep so I wouldn't miss one single second of this great gift.  A Christmas miracle, indeed.  

Once we were all up and around, my sweet little one was happily moving from her new basketball and goal, to the Nintendo 3DS, to the new Barbies and their furniture and sports car.  I decided this was a perfect day to whip up a special (and simple) morning treat.  I did.  It was well received, indeed.  Cherry pastries.  I am notorious for not remembering my own birthday and when asked what I'd like to have for any holiday, I can never think of a damn thing.  Well, this year, I remembered something I've wanted forever.  A Silpat.  My sister came through for me and gave me two!  I christened them with this quicky breakfast and it was awesome!

So, back to the pastries.  You can keep the ingredients on hand and whenever the mood strikes, pop these babies out of the oven and make your family think they are at a French patisserie.  Well, almost. Kinda sorta.

 

Here's what I did:

1 sheet puff pastry, thawed, rolled into a 10" square
canned (yes, canned) cherry pie filling
cream cheese
1 egg

Now, pay attention.  This is tough.  Roll the pastry out and cut into quarters.  Spread a little cream cheese down the center, top with cherry filling.  Brush two opposite tips of pastry with egg wash and fold them over the center.  Press them together to seal.  

My new SILPAT!




Place on a baking mat or parchment paper and brush tops with egg wash.  Bake at 400 for about 18 minutes, until golden.  Serve warm or can be cooled and served at room temp (like at the bakery).

Fresh out of the oven

The "ingreeds"



Yes, I did not make the filling.  Yes, it's puff pastry from the freezer section.  Do you know what's involved in making homemade puff pastry?  (nightmare) And, guess what?  I whipped up a fancy looking and great tasting special breakfast that worked wonderfully on the day after Christmas, as we all played with and explored our great gifts.  Simple, affordable, and even with special guests or occasions, you can pull this off and it will seem like you did much more!   

My idea of a great day-after-Christmas breakast: pastry and coffee!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...