Monday, August 22, 2011

Tales from the "Blue Cookbook"

I have a cookbook whose actual title is Land O Lakes Treasury of Country Recipes.  It was published in 1992 and I bought it off a roving, door-to-door book saleslady who came into my office one day.  It's a huge book filled with pretty easy recipes from dinner rolls all the way to homemade pies.  My younger sister fell in love with it and used it often.  It became simply known as "The Blue Cookbook."  We had a supper club when we were in our 20's and many a dish from the Blue Cookbook graced the palates of our friends.  We both consulted that book at almost every turn.  Then, it was taken away...


This is the revered book
My sister got accepted into the horticulture program at Colorado State.  So, she loaded up her car with all her prized possessions and hit the road.  That's right.  She TOOK the Blue Cookbook, which technically is MY Blue Cookbook.  She became roommates with a girl who wasn't much of a cook when they met.  No problem; Katherine came armed with the book.  So, over the years, Amy learned to cook, Katherine continued to explore the Blue Cookbook and every now and then when I flew out there, I got to visit it.

I can't remember exactly when I finally got it back, but I did.  It now has notes written in it as well as other recipes that K jotted down in it.  In fact, I think the Mullaney Salad is written in there now.  It came back with only the front cover; the back cover and spine have long since disappeared.  

Bless its big blue heart!
But that's ok.  The contents is intact and now back with its rightful owner! 

There is a recipe entitled "Picnic Potato Salad."  Of course, it's August in South Carolina so an outdoor picnic is utterly unthinkable.  As I contemplated dinner earlier today and the bag of potatoes taking up space on my counter, I decided to whip up a batch.  It's really a nicely different spin on potato salad, so I thought you guys may enjoy it.  So, here's the recipe:

  • 4 cups of small potatoes, quartered
  • 1/3 cup sour cream
  • 1/3 cup mayo
  • 1/2 tsp dill weed
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 tsp minced garlic
  • 4 slices crisp, crumbled bacon
  • 2 Tbsp green onions, sliced
1. Cook potatoes in salted water until tender, about 12 minutes.  Drain (duh!)

2. In a bowl, mix together all other ingredients except bacon and green onion.  Gently fold in potatoes and turn to coat with the dressing.  Before serving, add bacon and green onion.  (Tonight I omitted green onion because I was afraid the little one would reject it.  She tried the salad and ate all that was on her plate!)


Tonight, I grilled some marinated chicken breasts and served with the potato salad and simple green beans.  Mommy, daddy & Vivi all made "happy plates."  Now that the dinner is done, the dishwasher is loaded and the little one is in bed, I think I'll thumb through the Blue Cookbook for old times' sake and to get some refreshed ideas for the rest of the week.  Happy Cooking, friends!


2 comments:

  1. This is amazing, I LOVE this book. I just texted my mom and said what's the name of that blue cookbook?? I must find some of my favorite recipes. Her reply "it's in storage" she's in the process of moving. So here I am two days before Thanksgiving and want to make that jelly cookie recipe on the back of the book. I Googled "blue cookbook" under images and crossed my finger and to my surprise found this!! Now let's hope I can use the title to Google the recipe. :) I always referred to it as "the blue book" too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be happy to scan and email it to you. Is it the "holiday thumbprint" cookies? PM me via this page: https://www.facebook.com/GastronomybyaWannaBeChef/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...