Thursday, February 16, 2012

Chicken: back en vogue

Well, my funky chicken funk seems to have lifted.  Thank goodness because I have a freezer full of it and it's probably the most versatile meat on Earth.  I took a chicken break and focused on other proteins for a week or so.  This little mini-vacation from our fine-feathered friends did this wanna-be some good.

On Monday, I took out a package of chicken to defrost.  (Luckily, I did myself a favor when I bought this last batch and trimmed all the yuckiness off before I packaged them in twos and sent them to their chilly waiting room. I HATE trimming chicken, but it must be done!) What I forgot about was that these last chicken breasts that Aldi had on sale were from the largest chickens on the planet.  I grilled them both but only used about 2/3 of one of them for my ham & chicken penne.  

On Tuesday, I looked in the fridge and the proverbial lightbulb went off.  Right there on the shelf was the rest of the grilled chicken and a Tupperware of spaghetti noodles.  Oh yeah...we're going back to the 50's.  You guessed it; chicken Tetrazzini.  I can't even remember the last time I had this dish.  I'm not even sure if my mom ever even cooked it for us as kids.  Hmmm, have I even eaten this before?  Well, it didn't matter 'cuz I was making it.

Shazam! You know when you just feel like having a hot, creamy, gooey casserole?  This is it.  It starts with a roux, as all good sauces do.  Then, broth and wine.  Can't ever <EVER> go wrong with wine.  Onions and mushrooms.  I added peas.  Noodles. Hot oven.  As Gordon Ramsay would say, "Chicken Tetrazzini:  Done!"

It was, in a word, fantastic.  I put the mushrooms in for Neil, which he greatly appreciated. I do like the flavor they impart, just not actually eating them.  The wine not only flavored the sauce, but perfumed it.  The peas added a little splash of color and sweetness.  I was just so delighted with how well it turned out.  And, it was a perfect use for leftover chicken and noodles.  So, the lesson is this...next time you're grilling chicken, grill a little extra.  When you're making spaghetti, cook extra noodles.  Then whip up a Tetrazzini and wow your fans!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...