Sunday, December 12, 2010

Christmas Crab Quiche

I am fortunate to belong to a Sunday School class that is comprised of the coolest group of people.  We have meaningful conversations and lessons, we have fun inside and outside of church, we dog each other on Facebook and best of all, they are ready, willing and able guinea pigs.  We take turns bringing snacks to class so when it's my turn I love to try things out on them.  They are gracious, adventurous and they clearly have excellent taste since they eat what I make!

Last night was our class' Christmas party.  Our hosts had us all over to their new house, which is just lovely, and they provided a beautiful ham and an urn of the most delicious Sex on the Beach that I've had in quite some time!  We all bring food and have a White Elephant gift exchange.  That tradition has some great stories that I could go on and on about.  Maybe next time...

I really love quiche.  It's a pretty ingenious dish...protein is covered, you can jazz it up with any combination of veggies and cheese, seafood, or take the simple, subtle route and you're not going to be disappointed.  But, I have a confession.  I've never made mini-quiche.  I've driven over to Sam's Club numerous times over the years to buy those cute little frozen quiches for parties, drop-ins, you know.  But this time I said to myself, "Self, we're making little quiches in our own kitchen."  And that's what I spent yesterday doing.

A few weeks ago, my parents bought a bushel of crabs, so I knew mom had crab in her freezer.  "Borrowed" some of that (I know, it's not like I can give it back, right?) and came up with a crab quiche that I was very pleased with.  I will admit that pie crust is not my forte, so I used the Pillsbury all-ready crust.  She-Crab soup is one of my favorites and I think it's because of the combination of the crab and sherry.  So, I knew I wanted sherry in the mix.  Long story short, I took these to the party.  Got lots of compliments and a few people commented on the sherry flavor.  Only two quiches were left over, so I think I can call it a success.  

Crab Quiche 
  • 1 bunch of watercress, finely chopped
  • 8 oz. blue crab meat
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 3/4 cup cream
  • 2 Tbs sherry
  • 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 cup fresh parmesan cheese 
  • Dijon mustard
  • 3 pie crusts
 Bring the crusts to room temp.  Cut into 2 1/2" rounds.  Preheat oven to 375.

Mix crab meat and watercress and set aside.  In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs and yolks with the milk and cream.  Add sherry, nutmeg, salt, pepper and parmesan.  


All the components are ready to go

South Carolina Blue Crab: Nectar of the Gods
Fit mini crusts into the cups of a mini muffin tin.  (If you have multiples, get them out.  If not, you may want to consider borrowing some.  I only had one, so was making them one dozen at a time).  Brush the bottom of the crust with a little mustard, spoon in some crab mixture and pour some of the custard over.  Bake for about 20 minutes until puffed and golden.  That's it!  I think I ended up with 3 or 4 dozen.  I forgot to do a final count (sorry!).








No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...