Saturday, February 26, 2011

Baby Shower Menu

My sister is having a baby girl in April!  Baby Clara Lillian.  I'm co-hosting a shower and am trying to get the finishing touches on what we're going to serve.  Since I'm always paranoid that I'm leaving out something major or that I'm leaving a hole (you know, too much starch, not enough veg or fruit).  So, I thought I'd throw it out to you folks and get your opinions.

Here's what I have planned:
  • Tiropetas (these are little feta cheese/phyllo pastries.  We grew up with Greeks, so we've been eating these all our lives.)
  • Mini spinach & swiss quiches (homemade of course)
  • Swedish meatballs
  • fruit with amaretto dip (Thanks to my friend Ellen's awesome recipe)
  • Chicken salad finger sandwiches (these will come from Mathias Sandwich Shop)
  • Homemade petit fours
  • White wine
  • Ice tea

Thoughts?  Opinions?  Katherine and I are both non-traditional shower throwers and goers.  We loathe shower games, so you can forget that.  We're not really big on crepe paper streamers, bells or balls so decorations will be something simple like fresh flowers.  And, my friend who's hosting it at her house and my mom cannot deal with paper plates and plastic ware, so Kay bought new wine glasses and glass plates for the occasion.

I mentioned my friend Ellen.  A few years ago, she threw a shower for a friend.  This is when I first tasted this amaretto fruit dip.  It is light, flavorful and super easy.  She was nice enough to tell me how to make it, so now I will share with you.  Don't let the simplicity fool you...it tastes fantastic and everyone will rave about it.

ELLEN'S AMARETTO DIP
  • 16 oz Cool Whip
  • 2 instant vanilla puddings
  • 1-2 cups milk (just add until it looks right)
  • 4 Tbs Amaretto
Blend together until you have a nice fluffy dip.  Keep it cool until time to serve, of course.  I'm serving with mixed fruit...probably will cheat and have Publix do that for me. Publix for President!





So, if any of you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.  Happy dining this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...