Saturday, February 12, 2011

Parenting and Food

Being a parent means a lot of things but one biggie is this:  Put your money where your mouth is!  This was proven to me yet again last evening.

My whole life I've not liked tomatoes.  I order everything "no tomatoes."  I'd say I actually get it as ordered about 75% of the time.  Now, I'm ok with cooked tomatoes:  sauce, in chili, in pasta, on pizza, etc.  Just not raw.  The thought of chomping down on one of the "signature" Southern delights (white bread, mayonnaise and big slabs of tomato) just gives me the heebie-jeebies.

As I've gotten older though, I've learned like everyone else, that our tastebuds do change as we age.  I've been explaining this to Vivian pretty much as long as she's been alive.  Yesterday Vivian made me practice what I preach.  

I went to pick her up at my parents' house.  Mom had a snack plate out that consisted of blanched asparagus, celery, carrots, bell peppers, blue cheese and grape tomatoes.  So, little Vivver wanted to make me a plate.  When it came to that tomato, she said "I know you don't  like tomatoes, but I want you to just try it.  You might like it!"  Wow, that sounds like me verbatim.  I was trapped...there was no way I could get out of this one.  She used the Green Eggs and Ham maneuver on me.  So, I sucked it up and I ate that damn tomato.  To my amazement, I actually proved my own point.  It wasn't that bad. In fact, I might even try another one sometime soon.  And little Viv was beaming..."See?  I told you!"

Thank God she gave me a pass on the celery.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha! Good for the Viv! And good for you for trying it. But, alas, something we disagree on. Inasmuch as I'm a "can eat a good homegrown tomato like an apple" kinda gal.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...