Monday, February 14, 2011

Loaves and Fishes Stir-Fry

My mom is quite a person.  She's smart, creative, funny, inventive and resourceful.  She's also the type that will give you the shirt off her back, literally.  No really, I've told her to put her shirt back on before.



The other day I was at mom and dad's house and casually mentioned that I needed to stop at the grocery to get some vegetables.  You guessed it, mom sprung into action.  Now get this...she actually had matchstick carrots, asparagus, pea pods, broccoli florets, sliced mushrooms and sliced bell peppers in her fridge.  A stir-fry ready to go.  So, she offered to split it with me.  Because you know, stir-fry doesn't require a lot of any one thing, just a good variety.  It goes far...like loaves and fishes.  
Starting with the broccoli, onion and bell peps

Adding the pork and the rest of the veggies
Then, to top it all off, she said "Oh, I also have this roasted pork loin from the other night.  Why don't you take that too?"  Can you believe this?


So, in the same spirit as my"kitchen sink" fried rice, dinner was born.  The only things I added were diced onion, I sliced the pork into strips, and stir-fried it all with a combo of Teriyaki glaze, soy sauce and garlic.  Whipped up a pot of rice and (as Vivian loves to say) Voila!


My "kitchen sink-ness" has definitely been learned from the master.  I've actually walked into my parents' house and my dad has announced, "We have to go out, there's no food here."  Mom goes into the kitchen, rifles through her freezer and pantry and an hour later dad is eating lamb chops and orzo.  I think he thinks mom is magic.  To some extent, he's right.  So, thanks to my shirt-off-the-back mom, we had a veggie packed, delicious pork stir-fry dinner.  


Finished product
Happy Valentine's Day Dottie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...