Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Maple-Balsamic Pork Tenderloin

Sometimes my sense of time, or really lack of sense of time, amazes me.  I have recipes all over the place.  Loose ones are on top of my microwave, some are stuck in my "staple" cookbooks, many are in my Master Cook software program and some are in my head.  This afternoon I was contemplating dinner and remembered a "couple of years ago" my sister sent me an email about the "best pork tenderloin she's ever made."  It lives on top of the microwave.  I've never made it, but it's been on top of that microwave for whenever the big day arrived for me to actually bust a move and make it.  Well, today was the day.

Here's the sad part.  At the table, I told Neil that I'd gotten this from K a couple years ago, but hadn't gotten around to it.  As I sit here typing to you friends, I look at the email that I printed oh-so-long-ago only to discover that Katherine sent this to me on September 17, 2005 I am ridiculous. Almost 5 years ago?  Clearly, I understated...I don't even know what having a sense of time entails.  I'm embarrassed, but alas, I will press on with my life.


So here's the deal.  It is a Weight Watchers recipe that came from their online WW program in 2005. Is it still there today?  Who the heck knows.  It's entitled Maple Balsamic Pork Tenderloin and the point value is 4.  Finally got it on the plate Chez Akre tonight and I'm glad I did!  I served it to the Vivver minus sauce because I've just conceded that she's not always ready for my accoutrements.  Result?  She loved it.  Especially once I told her it had maple syrup in it.  Neil?  Well, he gave me one of his complimentary responses that involves him eating the design off the plate.  (That's a good thing in Neil-speak.)  I loved it myself.  It was fast and easy, healthy and highly flavorful.  I recommend it, therefore I will share it with you.

  • 1 1/2 lb pork tenderloin
  • 1/2 cup Maple-Balsamic dressing (below)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
Slice tenderloin lengthwise, cutting to but not through, the other side.  Open up like a book, laying it flat.  Place in a large ziploc bag.  Add 1/2 cup dressing. Seal and shake to coat the meat.  Refrigerate anywhere from 20 minutes to 8 hours.  Prepare the grill to medium high.  Remove the tenderloin from marinade and sprinkle with salt & pepper.  Grill 8 minutes per side or until thermometer registers 155 degrees.  Remove from the grill and let rest 5 minutes.  Slice across the grain into thin slices and drizzle with the reduced sauce *See these instructions below*

SHHHH...it's resting!

  • 1/2 cup V8 (I had none, so I pureed some canned diced tomatoes and added a little water to thin)
  • 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1 Tbsp rosemary
  • 2 tsp Dijon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 1/2 Tbs olive oil
Combine all ingredients except oil. Gradually whisk in the olive oil to emulsify.  While the pork is on the grill, place remaining dressing in a saucepan and bring to boil.  Reduce heat and simmer until it becomes syrupy.  Use as a drizzle for the meat.

A little drizzle of sauce and joined by friends brown rice & steamed green beans

Give it a whirl...I think you'll like it.  If you think it might take you 5 years to get around to it (like me) then print this, stick it on top of your microwave and pull it out every now and then to remind yourself it's there!  Whenever you actually do make it, I wish you Bon Appetit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...