Monday, September 5, 2011

Weekend in Asheville

Friday was my brother-in-law Darren's birthday, so the little fam trucked up to Asheville to celebrate with him.  My sister planned this dish for Friday night that she had actually gotten from our mom.  It's a pecan-crusted pork tenderloin.  In a word, fantastic.  It's pretty simple too.  So many simple dishes are, in fact, the best.  You slice the tenderloin into medallions, dip in maple syrup then chopped pecans and into the skillet.  We combined with roasted potatoes and green beans for a super supper.  
Medallions a-cookin'


Darren's party was great fun too.  Cooked hot dogs and brats on the grill and had my sister's newest surprise find.  She was at Sam's and one of the ladies had a stand to try a smoked brisket.  Now, my sister is probably the BIGGEST skeptic I know.  She tried it; she liked it; she bought it.  And I'm so glad she did.  It was a fully cooked smoked brisket that only needed to be heated 15 minutes per pound.  OMG this was some daggum good meat!  I made a sandwich with just mayo and it was superb.  Neil added some BBQ sauce to his and was pleased.  I think it would also be great on a foccacia with herbed mayo.  If you see this at Sam's, buy it.  You'll thank me.  Well, really you'll thank Katherine.

Since we had the Vivver with us, we swung through Hendersonville on the way home and hit up Stepp's orchard.  We picked a 1/2 bushel mixed with Fuji and Golden Delicious.  I love this orchard. It's family owned, they have wagons you can pull the kiddies around in and a corn maze.  Afterwards, we drove to Lake Lure and got Vivian in a mountain stream for a little creek hiking.  Now, we are up to our ears in beautiful NC apples.  Last night I made apple pie ice cream.  Today, a monster of an apple pie.  Then, when I get a second wind, apple turnovers to put in the freezer.  
My pie crusts don't look good, but taste is another matter!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...