Sunday, October 24, 2010

Crockpot Chicken Marsala

I used to be afraid of crockpots.  I'm kind of weirded out about leaving any cooking device on when I'm not around.  I realize throughout history, cooks have put a pot roast in the oven, gone to pick up the kids, gone to the market, gone to church, etc. and returned home to find their house not burned down and smelling like a yummy pot roast. So, when Neil and I first teamed up 13 years ago, he was flabbergasted that I didn't own a crockpot and couldn't believe that I was actually afraid of them.

So, once upon a time, my friend Eugenie got married.  She got crockpots galore for gifts (apparently) and offered one to me.  I took the leap and accepted.  Now I have to admit that I love the damn thing.  And, it's a big one too.  I can cook the (dreaded and nerve-wracking big cuts of meat), chili, soup, and (wait for it, wait for it) CHICKEN MARSALA.

I credit my co-worker Catherine for printing the recipe for me.  I changed a few things, just minor, because as some of you know, I will follow a recipe the first time and tweek the next time.  So, before I headed to work today, I got it all ready to go, set a timer for Neil and he turned it on for me at the appointed time.  Result?  Came home to a wonderful smelling home and a delicious supper.  

I went to Greene's and got a California Marsala wine for about $5.  I always assumed it was expensive. That's what I get for assuming, right?  The chicken was so tender, when I went to pick it up from the pot, it was falling apart.  Even though I'm not a mushroom eater, I do appreciate the flavor they impart.  The sauce was just fantastic.  The only thing I will do differently next time is to add salt.  Salt gets a bad rap for the whole sodium thing.  That's because people misuse it....it's not intended to be glopped all over the food.  It's purpose is to enhance and bring out other flavors.  So, use it wisely and it makes all the difference.  (If any of you are watching the current season of The Next Iron Chef, you know they all keep getting blasted by the judges for under-salting.)

Ok, enough of my babbling.  As usual, if you try it, I'd love to hear about your results and your opinion.  The base recipe came from Pillsbury's website; here's how I actually prepared it for us:

  • 3-4 boneless chicken breasts 
  • 2 1/2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 Tbs vegetable oil
  • 1/2 tsp salt & 1/2 tsp pepper (as I said, I'll add more here next time) 
  • 8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 cup Marsala wine
  • 1/2  cup water
  • 1/4 cup corn starch 
Coat crockpot crock with Pam-like spray.  Place garlic and oil in  next.  Season chicken with salt & pepper.  Place on top of garlic.  Then, place mushrooms on top of chicken then pour wine over all.  Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours (I did ours for 5 hours and it was falling apart tender).

Remove chicken from pot and cover with foil to keep warm.  Mix water & corn starch until smooth, then stir into the mushrooms and juice in the crockpot.  (This is where I'm going to add maybe a teaspoon or so to the sauce next time.) Turn the heat up to high and cook until the sauce thickens & is bubbly. Add chicken back in and cook until the chicken is hot.


I served it over fettucine with the sauce spooned on top, and with an Iceberg wedge salad with blue cheese & thick-sliced bacon pieces.  Neil thinks I'm a genius and Vivian thinks it's really cool that she's the only 4 1/2 year old who is enough of a big girl to not only pronounce Chicken Marsala but also to actually like it.  She's taking some to school tomorrow for lunch!  I love that kid!  :-)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for letting me know. Hey, can you work on a Crockpot Chicken Picatta? :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...