Thursday, October 21, 2010

Making Chicken

Yesterday, my good buddy Kelley, tweeted me this: "Chicken breast marinated in leftover Greek dressing on the grill is very yummy." I would agree wholeheartedly. This made me think of a recipe I need to share with you guys.

Have you ever ordered grilled chicken in a restaurant and you know it's been either been marinated or seasoned with something, but you just can't figure it out? I've always wanted to be able to duplicate restaurant chicken and then, one day it happened...I opened my Food & Wine: The Chicken Collection cookbook and there it was. The ultimate chicken marinade. I made it. I freaked. It WAS restaurant grilled chicken. At last, I've unlocked the secret!


So, here's what I do.
  • 1/4 cup chopped onions

  • 2 Tbs Dijon

  • 1/4 tsp thyme

  • 3/4 cup olive oil

  • 3/4 cup lemon juice

  • salt & pepper


  • I mix all this in a ziploc. Then, I make shallow scores in the chicken breasts on each side. Don't cut too deeply or your chicken will fall apart. Just score it lightly to let it take up more marinade. Pop them in the bag and into the fridge. I have left them in all day while I'm at work and it's just fine. Then, of course, you grill them.

    Such a simple preparation for what I consider the most fantastic grilled chicken on the planet.

    Oh, by the way, I typed this recipe by heart. Once I get back to my cookbook, I'll let you know if I forgot anything!

    5 comments:

    1. That's it? Are you serious? This is going to the top of my "must make" pile--immediately!

      I like to pound my chicken breasts so that they are all the same thickness--it tends to soak up more of the marinade that way, too.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I say get some extra salad dressing from Grecian Gardens, soak boneless/skinless breasts in it for several hours, let Neil (my Neil although Akre would do) grill it up. Enjoy!!

      ReplyDelete
    3. but what kind of onions? White? Yellow? Red? vidallia?

      ReplyDelete
    4. Onions: whatever you have. I usually keep either plain yellows or Vidalias around. Kelley...I'm down with the Greek dressing. I'm thinking about it for later this week. FYI...I'm also going to try out a crockpot Chicken Marsala that a friend has recommended~

      ReplyDelete
    5. Yum! Let me know about the Chicken Marsala. I tried to make Chicken Picatta once (mmm....capers....) and it was a greasy inedible lump...

      ReplyDelete

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...