Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Gyro my Hero

I've always loved the flavor and even the look of a gyro, but that lump of meat on a stick causes me great concern. You know what I'm talking about, right? They shave the meat off of this lump for the sandwiches. That's how you get those super thin slices of meat.

I am extremely picky about meat. While chicken wings are a very social eating activity in the South and my husband is a pro at it, my loathing of meat with bones in it leaves me out. Meat with any kind of fat left clinging to it will be flatly rejected by me. And any meat that I can't identify visually (like the lump on the stick) is probably not going to make it past these lips.

So, yesterday, my mom ventured out and made homemade gyros. Of course, knowing whose kitchen food comes from makes all the difference in the world. And, knowing that my mom fully understands my meat issues, I knew that finally I could indulge in this great Greek grandeur without trepidation. She used Alton Brown's recipe (click here) and it was awesome. The tzatziki sauce was perfect...thick and rich, cooling cucumber and a healthy dose of garlic! Even my 4 year old wunderkind enjoyed her very first gyro. That was very cute.

So, I will be making homemade gyros myself from this day forward. I'll sink my teeth into it with reckless abandon because I know EXACTLY what kind and quality of meat is in there! I know, I'm a freak. Don't even get me started on celery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...