Friday, October 1, 2010

**Restaurant Review**

Mai Thai-West Columbia

Well, this isn't totally like a review since I've been there a zillion times. It's one of my favorite places in Columbia. I kind of discovered it by accident a couple years ago and it was instantly on my list of killer restaurants. If you haven't checked it out, here's my two cents' worth.

First, and foremost, it's a family owned business...yea! Secondly, the food is simply fantastic...vegetables are meticulously cut to the right size/shape (I've been told the chef is really picky about it and fusses if the others don't get it right), all fresh meats/seafoods and the perfect Thai balance of sweet and hot. And thirdly, the service is impeccable.The restaurant is a comfortable place to be too. It's dimly lit, well decorated and small.

So, yes, I've been there a zillion times, so why is it on my mind today? I picked up dinner on my way home last night and just felt like sharing. Neil is super spicy guy and if you know the Thai people, they can blow your head off to any degree you wish. I ordered him Red Curry with chicken with a hot scale of 4. Turns out, he could've had and would've preferred a 5. I should've known. The red curry has a nice coconut base of course, then that awesome red curry burn to it afterwards! Mix in the spice of basil, bell pepper and tender bamboo shoots...Yum! I ordered Pad Ba Mee with shrimp. This is a mild noodle dish (the little one loves noodles, so I knew she'd want to share) that is packed with vegetables...zucchini, pea pods, baby corn, carrots. It's absolutely wonderful. It makes you feel so comfortably full but never stuffed. Other faves include Panang Curry, Drunken Noodles, Green Curry and of course, the coconut soup and Tom Yum soup!

If you're unfamiliar with Thai food, you're really missing out. It is NOTHING like Chinese. Their cuisine has an intricate balance of herbs, citrus, sweet and spicy. And, the food is actually pretty. If you go and check them out, I'd love to hear what you have to say.
Mai Thai on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...